Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Vegetarian: A Spiffy Salads or Spicy Tortilla?

Who said salads had to be limited to lettuce and low fat dressings ( even though I like those . . . a lot )? Whenever I think of my Grandmother Ernestine I remember her Waldorf salad, because of her I have some sweet ideas for salads, odd and traditional. Matter of fact your salad can become a rainbow!
#1 - Citrus Rainbow Salad, to make this salad remember Roy G. Biv. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet.
Begin by adding in crazins (red), mandarin oranges ( orange, obviously ), then shake up lemon juice olive oil and a few spices, for dressing ( 1Tbsp with 1tsp of sugar if you like, ( somewhat yellow ), grape slices ( green), or you could use shredded lettuce :) or the mixed lettuce greens there's purple (with hues of blue and indigo). I also love olives, and julienne purple carrots.






This is my 1st daughter's treat for me when I visited her over the weekend...I love being spoiled a little by them. When I see her I know I'm going to be taken care of by eating Vegetarian or Vegan...this is even gluten free! woohoo! Enough for 4-6 servings.

She Likes Food Blog
Isadora...(love her name) said how
easy it is to make a spice rub and
I agree and it's fun to mix stuff
up at least for me anyway! So I listed
a few in another post.

Salad #2 on a tortilla

Ingredients:
  • a head of cauliflower
  • 1 1/4 c. of cooked garbanzo beans a.k.a. Chickpeas
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 10-12 corn tortillas
  • sliced jalapenos, if desired
BBQ Rub:
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. coconut sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Creamy Lime Slaw:
  • 1..14oz. bag of coleslaw mix or 6-8 cups of thinly chopped cabbage and carrots
  • a scant 1/2 c. of "veganasie" or mayo
  • 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp. celery salt
  • 1 tsp. water
  • juice of a lime
Proceed by..
  1.  Bake at 375 ...so Pre-heat your oven 15 min. before.
  2. Make the slaw: in a medium sized bowl add all the slaw dressing ingredients and mix the ingredients until it looks creamy.  Put the cabbage mixture in another bowl, and pour the dressing over  it. Mix until everything is combined. Cover and let the flavors set up in the fridge.
  3. In a small bowl mix all the BBQ ingredients together.
  4. Wash and separate all the cauliflower florets and chop them into small bite sized pieces. Put them and the chickpeas on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and toss in bbq rub, until completely coated. Place the pan into the oven for 25 min. toss again once.
  5. You can warm up the tortillas if you weren't keeping them warm in a crock pot or oven, then place 1/4 of the cauliflower mix and top with about a Tbsp. of coleslaw, lettuce or leafy greens.
just one of these, was very filling...and I liked them so much I want to make more for a crowd next time which won't be a problem since the chick peas and cauliflower make soo much!

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment