Rutabaga is a very interesting root vegetable. I love the smell, it smells like cabbage. In my effort to try and fix veggies in different ways...I didn't want to get away from my favorite way to eat my vegetables. Mostly raw or stir fry/ saute'. I mixed these in with our greens. Yummy.
My Father in Law has a nice size garden and these collards remind me of his. Only without the holes because the grubs have eaten like crazy!!
How I Stir Fry Collards
Cleaned and chopped Collard Greens
a large onion
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes (optional)
olive oil, bacon grease or clarified butter
a splash or two of cider vinegar
chicken stock just enough to keep the greens moist and tender not soaking in the juices
- Chopping all the veggies you need
- Start to saute' with the oil, garlic, onions and a little bit of red pepper flakes until it has a lovely aroma
- Then add in you rutabaga and your greens simmer until wilted then add more greens until you've used all you want.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste ( I use Kosher and Cracked pepper mostly)
- Add in a splash of Vinegar
- Then pour in enough chicken stock to cover greens half way. Let simmer in the saute' pan or in a crock pot until they are tender
Other options* Many times I've used hot sauce instead of red pepper flakes it's a little less intense to me.